It’s been a few years since I was abroad last on a “real trip” like this, and I have longed to go somewhere, anywhere for quite a while. And finally I made it happen, and I think I am in love with this city, maybe even the country (there are so many more places in Italy that I dream of: that I have read about, seen in movies and want to visit).
Even in this kind of short trip you see so many amazing new things that it is hard to know where to start the storytelling of it all… And Venice was pure magic, like something out of a fairy tale or fantasy novel. Magical. Everywhere I turned I saw wabi-sabi beauty, green water roads and historic buildings. I mean: all the buses are boat buses, there are no cars – at all, and they serve delicious pasta everywhere! My kind of city, indeed.
I expected floods and rainy gray days, but got summer warmth and sunshine!
I took a gazillion photos. I drank a lot of water. I went on boat rides. I drank iced coffee and wrote in my journal.
I walked, and walked, and walked. Today I’m resting my feet.
I felt so at home in Venice. So calm and happy. Now I can not believe how and why I hesitated for so long to go? And as I am back at home I am reminding myself of this quote, by clever author Terry Pratchett:
Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.
I’ll do one or more Venice photo posts later on. For now let me just say this:
- I love boat rides and canals so much
- I didn’t want to go back home, and that is so unusual for me
- My Postcard Swap is coming up next week – so start making postcards
- Aperol spritz is my new favorite drink
- Life is better when you have friendship and can laugh together – so hard that your stomach hurts
- I bought myself one paper/craft thing in Italy: a pink Moleskine plain notebook, and that was enough for me
- The photo above pictures the view from the hotel room, just above green water and bustling boat traffic – I ♥ that view!
What is your favorite city, and were should I go next? Hmm…