I’ve read Diana M. Raab’s soft cover poetry book a few evenings now. I think it’s hard to say anything about the poetry itself, because poetry is so personal and sometimes even mystifying. Reviewing it is difficult. I like some of the poems as they make me smile, others I don’t even understand and some I don’t like at all. What I do love most about this book, in addition to the beautiful cover, is the thought behind the book; the idea of writing poetry in your diary and/or writing a biography like this one using only poems. It’s awesome. As poetry is so personal I think journal or diary poetry is a great idea.
I like that the whole book is dedicated to AnaÔs Nin, who wrote diaries her whole life. They are all published and it’s my plan to start reading them this year. I also like the beautiful title; Dear AnaÔs: My Life in Poems For You. If you are interested in self-biography poetry I think you should check this book out.
I’m still reading Wayne Dyer’s book, but I jumping between lots of books right now. Last night I finished a Swedish novel and I’m also reading Virginia Woolf’s diary. My plan is to read a couple of writer’s diaries this year. AnaÔs Nin, Woolf and Simone de Beauvoir!
I listened to a new podcast about journal writing yesterday. It’s Wendy Hale Davis talking about Journaling, interviewed by her friend the very cool and artsy writer RicŽ Freeman-Zachery of the blog Notes from the Voodoo Cafe. If you listen and like this you need to go tell RicŽ to continue to do podcasts about art and journaling for us. The podcasts talks about naming your journals, how to get started writing and what journal keeping can do for you. I think Wendy had a lot of interesting stuff to say, so I wished it would’ve been longer!
RicŽ also wrote a book, called Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspiration from Working Artists (I haven’t read it but it’s on my amazon wish list). I adore the videos she does, check them out at her youtube page!
* And on journaling, my blog friend Sama is always digging up interesting images and articles on journaling, sketching, Moleskines etc.
* An Li Na Design blog – Amy Nelson has several journal giveaways right now
* Regina’s Closet: Finding My Grandmother’s Secret Journal is another book by Diane Raab that is about a diary. A diary Diana’s grandmother wrote during her life.
* Check out the blog Diana’s Notebook – about diary writing.
* SuziBlu is also a great jump start for journaling inspiration – always! In this her latest video she is gets married. She is now married to her self. She talks about loving yourself and your body as it is. That’s okay to be single, to not want to be like every one else, to find new role models, to just do what you want to do and not care what people think about it…. She is so smart, this girl. To me, that’s the best kind of girl power! Go check it out, then open up that journal…
Wanna try out Diary Poetry? You could write about your beautiful body or what you like or don’t like about it. You could write a poem. Or describe the room you’re in; what do you see, where do you sit, what do you smell?