The disappearing desk trick

In chaos, there is fertility.
/Anas Nin

Trick of mine: the disappearing desk

The photo above shows a magic trick of mine: how to make every work surface and desk space disappear in a pile of junk! Ta-daaa, and it’s gone. Have you tried it? It’s way too easy to make this happen – and then I always forget the spell that reverses the mess back to order again… It spreads onto the floor, and the bookshelf and sofa and living room table too.

I love a neat tidy desk – but I can’t create there. Or rather, I can start there but I end up with a hurricane mess in just a few minutes. And blind to the piles, I continue onwards.

How about you?

This entry was posted in A Creative Life and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The disappearing desk trick

1. Carin says:

Ahem, yes! Recognize it so well. Even your messes look pretty thought!

2. Hagit says:

Me neither!! I just uploaded a photo of my desk a few days ago. On the one hand, I love the mess and I know exactly where everything is, I swear! On the other, I need to clean at least a little bit up before i can start anything new :)

3. melydia says:

They tell me there’s wood under the piles of paper and art supplies that has collected around my computer. I’m not convinced, having not seen any evidence for quite a long while.

4. Maureen says:

I love your blog but rarely comment, had to today because I relate so well to this and love your sense of humor as well! Thanks for keeping it real and keeping us all laughing.

• iHanna says:

Thanks Maureen and everybody else, for taking the time (and courage) to comment. It really means a lot to me. :-) Makes me wanna find my desk and create something right now!

5. Emily Lagore says:

my desk you ask?

hmmmm

mess mess and more MESS!!!

6. do you know a magic spell to tidy up the table?
    I need it!!!

7. Melissa says:

I do the same thing….Eight hours of creating and four hours to clean up and organize it all…lol…On the other hand, when I clean up, I have to figure out where everything goes or make room for things that are no longer neatly packaged. It always reveals a treasure that I had forgotten about….I also like to think….It’s kind of like the old saying. A messy cook is a good cook…I say,”a messy artist is a great artist”

• iHanna says:

Melissa, love that saying! A messy artist is the one creating indeed, a neat one is probably just thinking about creating! :-) But sometimes I wonder why the cleaing up needs to take up so much time (take time & energy away from starting and just creating)…

8. alua says:

Ahh, you are a girl of my kind.

My desk tends to be buried in things as well. In fact, it’s very rarely a workspace, and much more often the place to put all kinds of things (because if they are visible I won’t forget about them). That includes anything from film festival flyers, my sketchbook, invoices, essential stationary, some decorative items, little packets of sugar (so I don’t have to run to the kitchen), a fruit basket and whatnot…

• iHanna says:

Alua, I agree. It’s great to box things away, but once they’re out of sight I SO forget about those projects and never finish… The balance between keeping it in sight and having space to work on is difficult!

9. Andria says:

I fully embrace the quotation by Anais Nin! I am always trying to tidy things up and keep my desk clear so I have space to work, but within moments it is completely covered again. I have to believe that I actually like to work that way, or it wouldn’t keep happening!

10. Lianne says:

I tend to work in a tidy and organised way but it’s AFTER that everything explodes and takes several attempts to put away.

11. Emily says:

I’m a pile maker, and tend to work on new projects right on top of existing piles. Then it gets too much for even me, I clear off my desk. Usually I find some little bit of something that inspires to me get creating and the clean up is over. My husband calls it my “comfort clutter”.

12. Marion says:

SNAP! Another of my tricks is the ability to take a desk of ANY size and quickly reduce the working area to a maximum six inch by six inch square. Try it for yourself….. it works every time!

Marion

13. Lay Hoon says:

we are in the same kind :)
    I hardly to get a tidy desk ..

14. Pingback: My Desk, No Gloss | iHanna's Blog

15. Mary Schaeffer says:

Really cute post! I think we can ALL relate.

Mary