Finding your own style

I used to hope that I would “find my style” very soon. I longed to find it, somewhere, anywhere. But I was looking for it before I was ready to see. Then I relaxed a bit and found it was there all the time. But of course it is more developed now. More clear, and in focus. Because I keep adding stuff to my journal, exploring my creative ideas, giving it space – and a lot of time over the years.

We should just say to ourselves:

- Hey, what is this on my desk today?

Could I do something creative with it?

IMG_9747
On my desk: an orange label with a smiling fish (it’s from a fly fishing lure decorating thread that mom found in a flea market, and I intend to try to embroider with it)… I liked the label (as well as the pink colour of the thread) so I just added it on top of a journal page. Ka-bam! Pretty.

Next…

Pink owl - art journaling in the details
…I’ll write a few words below it; what ever comes to mind in the moment, without being concerned over my wonky handwriting.

I don’t even have to write a whole journal entry on the page. Because maybe collage is my statement…

Collage is my statement
Yeah, I think that’s how I will frame it. Collage is my statement, my voice, my love.

This is my journaling!
…and maybe this is my journaling? On small circle labels in an ocean of polka dotted wrapping paper, glued or sewed into my ongoing journal.

The important thing is to just do it. Be creative. And always always keep an ongoing journal close – what ever you do!

This entry was posted in Art journaling and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Finding your own style

1. Jacqueline says:

You might discover your style when you are making art for several years, so that you can compare your work and developments throughout the years. I think that then you are able to see what you do and what is repeated in your work.
    Just have some patience! :-)

2. Lis says:

I really needed to read this today! I too have struggled with this notion of “finding” my style … playing around with other styles and worrying about making it my own. For me, I think there is a natural period of exploration, trying new things on and then relaxing into the process of allowing integration to happen.

Just do it – yes! I guess I take comfort from all of this because to me you do have such a unique style: your use of clear, rich colors, playful graphics, balance of images and decorative elements … I love your work! But yes, to know you also wonder at times, that relaxes me and when I relax, then my true voice can be heard!

Loving your index cards! Happy summer!
    xo Lis

3. Andrea says:

I am still very much at the stage of using models from others. When I sit at an empty page I can usually do a very rushed piece meal background and then get stuck. I just love reading people’s blogs, especially yours, and this post was especially helpful. I’m just going to keep on keeping on. I am happy to be inspired by others. It could take years before I start creating original stuff that will inspire others, I am fine with that. I will just create and create and create……….

Yes, Hanna. Searching and searching for something is probably the same with everything. You look for something you already have!

5. Susan King says:

Miss U Hanna! I hope everything is OK.

6. Amanda says:

I’m always on the lookout for my style. Sometimes its something you can’t see for yourself.