Art Journaling check in – Week 9

Yellow in bloom

Last week my Art Journal Every Day check in was the guest post about collecting colours over at Julie’s blog and before that, week 7, it was a questions and answer session with reader questions on art journaling.

So since I haven’t posted anything from my Art Journal for two weeks I have a few things to show today. How about a huge yellow flower in watercolours (above)

Though just one finished spread from this week.

Art Journal week 9
A cat and a bunny girl with a purple dress. Drawn from my mind using pencil drawing that I then coloured with watercolours. The bunny is coloured with mostly one colour, dark purple. I want to play more with colouring with one colour like that, adding different amount of water for sharding.

Smilla Icon
Smilla drawing, watercolour on watercolour paper.

After painting I filled in the lines of the cat with a black thin marker, and made a border. I might write on the page later, but also, trying to not totally fill every page with explosions of colour. White space can also say something, and it is enough with little sometimes.

Bunny Year
Sad bunny girl.

Gray Sleep
Gray drawing made with my manga set of pitt brush pens in gray tones. If you look at both the bunny and cat above they are outlined with one of the gray pens. I have been experimenting with using them together with water colours (when the water colour is dry of course!).

Bed cover doodles
Bed cover detail. Watercolour swirls, and then pitt pen doodles on top of that.

Eye pattern doodle
Eye shaped pattern doodled in front of a movie, then I painted around the shapes to create a patterned page. It’s the second or third “just playing pattern” page that has been emerging in this journal! Where is that going? I’m not sure yet.

Further Inspiration:

I posted a few good inspiration links in my post yesterday, but I think you also need to check these out…

This entry was posted in Art journaling and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Art Journaling check in – Week 9

1. Jeannine says:

I love your drawings!

2. K Hutchinson says:

These are so awesome! I love your cat! Working with watercolors is the best!

3. Kris says:

Hanna, I would like to tell you thank you for a blog that always inspires. I have a job that allows me to be creative and inspire others to create, but then have little energy left over to just play myself. But your blog makes me want to push aside that tired feeling and make time to journal and stitch anyway :) Also, I would buy that sad bunny if you would want to part with it or would ever paint another one. I love her.

4. Sara says:

I love the bunny girl too! You should make prints…

5. Liberty says:

oh my goodness! I loveloveLOVE the cat and the bunny girl!!!
    prints of the bunny girl are an AWESOME idea!

6. Robin says:

Terrific Roger Ebert article!! A must-read!

7. Wendy says:

I LOVE your drawings! You are so talented! And the colors are just awesome!!!

8. April Cole says:

Thank you for sharing.
    Your drawings are delightful! What a treat :]
    Also, thank you for sharing all that useful information.

9. Hannah says:

I have been enjoying your blog so much! Thank you!

My cat, Babi, and your cat should totally hook up! He’s like her with the long collar fur but he is black and white. He has 3 black dots on his head that look like a skull face. You’d love him. ANYWAY! Give Smilla a big hug from me and Babi. And thanks again for providing me with many smiles and inspirations.

Love,
    Hannah

10. I really like how you use watercolours. I have some but I’ve never used them because I have NO CLUE!

11. Susan says:

I just read your recommended links – soooooo inspiring.
    I used to say about myself that I couldn’t draw – well, that is not true!! I am going to get out some acrylic paint and start right now (it is 10.30 PM where I live – now you see how inspired I am. My kids are asleep so I better use my free time wisely :-) Thanks again for your links.

12. Emma says:

Pretty! I love how all your drawings are so cute, and they always look 3-D.

13. I am loving your art journal check-ins… and thanks for sharing such gorgeous and inspiring links!

14. Andria says:

Hi Hanna, I just got back from a weekend out of town to find that you had posted a link to my blog. Thank you so much for that! I am continuing to get so much inspiration from your blog, and appreciate your support of mine as well!

15. MissKoolAid says:

Hanna,

These drawings of yours are so darling! Makes me want to draw and paint more. Which is why I made myself a new journal with different types of paper for different types of medium.

Hugs,
    Sophie

16. Cathy says:

What delightful drawings of your kitty and bunny girl. Watercolour is excellent for shading and I agree about white. I tend to go a bit mad with colour sometimes and forget that less is more.

17. Kerstin says:

Kul att du hittade till mig. Vilken fin blogg du har. D?r har jag mycket att l?ra. Och vilka fina bilder du g?r. Jag tycker mycket om bilderna du h?ller p? med nu.

18. milkcan says:

Love all of your anthropomorphic creatures!

Well.

That does it.

I can’t read any more of this wonderfulness today. Can you SEE all those cool drawings?! The colors and the attitude? I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking: There MUST be a whole book of these, and I must order it so I can read it and look at it!

Are these using your Pitt pens? I love the way they are looking. And your photos are so crisp. I am going to work more on getting mine bright and crisp like this.

Thanks for all the coolosity!