1000 artist journal pages – and my ego

What a poignant delight!

It’s here. See that, it’s my hand holding my book! I bought it at amazon and I’m probably the last one to see this book “in flesh”. I don’t think I’ve ever waited this long for one book to first be published and then to arrive into my loving arms! But now it’s here and I think it is so beautiful! Well done Dawn, it’s perfect!

1000 artist journal pages

If you haven’t seen this book already but you are into this sort of stuff (art, writing, creativity), I think it’s a must-own-book because there is so much to look at, many talented artist and a big range of diverse styles! It may not be possible to borrow it for a while and then return it I think, you can quickly browse through but never be “finished” or take in everything.

The details:
Full title: 1000 Artist Journal Pages – Personal Pages and Inspiration
Layout by Dawn DeVries Sokol
Published by Quarry Books in the US, July 2008. Paperback.
Dimensions: 9 x 9 inches big!
It has +300 pages with very little text but very many (1000!) pages (though some are spreads that counts as two pages). You can also read what the artist has written and journaled about. My bro was proud to be mentioned in one of my pages, though I noticed all “my pages” are in Swedish.

I’m published in it, did I mention that? Yes me!
1000 artist journal pagesI didn’t know that the number one thousand on the cover was cut out – isn’t that nifty? After all the posts I’ve seen about this book I didn’t know how heavy it would be, how nice and thick it is – and that I would have four (4!) pages all to myself in it. Yes, I’m published! I submitted some pages to Dawn ages ago and was accepted, included, published. Yellow girl Eleven (yes 11!) of the 1000 pages are made by me, scans of my personal art journals made in Sweden, with my name beside them. Hanna Andersson, Sweden. Eleven. This post is totally my ego talking, and I’m not even going to say “sorry” – hell no, my ego is having a feast over here and sining the happy song! And I’m letting my hair down!

It’s an art book that probably will inspire anyone to do a little art journaling (but probably a lot). If you’re experienced in this field you can totally keep this book as a reference guide and inspiration tool for different styles, artists and prompts. And I’m not just saying that because I’m in it. I would totally enjoy this book anyway!

1000 artist journal pages
Some of my pages in this book! On the right is a “self portrait” page I once did, and it features my photo and my hompage URL too! Oh, darn ego, shut up!

And with this post about a book that I’m published in I also am launching my Book recommendation page! Please check it out and let me know what you think? Thanks!

Some more pages from the book 1000 artist journal pages:

Great content, great design – an art book in my taste! *swirls around*

1000 artist journal pages

1000 artist journal pages
Yes, I told you. You need this book!

1000 artist journal pages

And to get more Dawn in your life, see these links:
* Dawn’s own blog with interviews of the artists, prompts and her own creativity at D’Blogala!
* Dawn on CraftSanity Podcast where she talks at length about this book, her own art journaling history and how she fell in love with art journaling and book art! If you listen carefully you might even here my name (!) which was a fun surprise!
* Plus a ZNE interview with Dawn and her book is also mentioned on Craft Cast!
* Order it from amazon: 1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations!!!

This entry was posted in Art journaling, Book Reviews, Thoughts on Creativity and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to 1000 artist journal pages – and my ego

1. Tracey says:

Congrats Hanna! You must be on cloud 9 right now! I am always amazed by your beautiful talents and am inspired. I have never been good at keeping a written journal (because I don’t like my handwriting)but maybe I will be able to express myself better with pictures. I am going to see if I can find this book right now! YAY!!!

2. Stephanie says:

Grattis Grattis Grattis!!!
    This is fantastic news! I will have to be on the look out for this one, how wonderful! Eleven pages! Of course you should be dancing and not apologizing for your excitement, this is fabulous news :)
    You are one of the most productive journal page creators I know of :)

3. Dawn says:

Thank you, Hanna, for publishing such a great post about the book! And you have many pages in it because your work is wonderful!! THANK YOU!!!!!

4. What an amazing book. Wowza! Thanks for writing about it.

5. Dawn says:

Congrats Hanna! I did my own happy dance a couple of months ago when I got my copy and saw my pages in there. Such a rush! I love the picture of you peeking through the 1,000 on the front. It would be neat to see a photo montage of all the artists in the book peeking through their own personal copies.

6. MissKoolAid says:

Congratulations! What a rush it must be to see your art in printed and published form! And it’s ok to toot your own horn once in a while.

Sophie

PS I’m having a giveaway on my blog.

7. robyn says:

Oh, Congratulations on being published in this amazing book. I picked it up off the shelves a week or two ago during one of my artgroup meetings (held at a bookstore) and was delighted and shocked to see so many of my flickr friends. I really wonder how I missed the boat.

8. Congratulations, Hanna! It is a lovely book! Love your pages!!

9. bridgette says:

congratulations hanna! I saw your spreads in there when I got the book and loved them. You should be proud! I’m doing the happy dance with you. :)

10. Lin says:

Congratulations Hanna, and you SHOULD be over the moon and proud of yourself! Your work is wonderful and I am so happy to see you be recognized.

11. Flassie says:

Congrats Hanna!!!

What wonderful pages! I’m going to
    have to put that book on my Christmas
    List.

I put up a link to some recycled knitted Espadrilles. I seen them on one of those links you put up a bit ago. They used flipflops. I bought those stick on flip flops to make something else but I might just have to learn how to knit after
    seeing those cute Espadrilles.

Thanks for the Sunday Tutorial links. I like
    the Newpaper yarn idea.

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS!!!

12. Congrats! I’m so happy for you! That book looks AWESOME! Chalk full of inspiration for sure! YAY YOU!!!

13. Sarah says:

Fabulous – congratulations!

14. Cecile says:

Bravo, f?licitations !

Congrats on your publication, I know how you feel, and it is good !

15. Laura says:

YAY! And Congrats!

16. Sama says:

Grattis!!!
    Och kul att h?ra mer om boken, jag ?r verkligen sugen p? att inf?rskaffa den!

17. Camilla says:

Congratulations! And thanks for this post because now I have something else to add to my wish list!

18. Bev Laing says:

Well done, you go girl! I’ve been reading your blog for such a long time now and I’m completely convinced of your talent. So it’s lovely to know that you’ll be getting out there to other artists and in such a lovely, well-designed book. I’m also going to have to put out some heavy hints about wanting this for my birthday…. :-) Bev

19. hedwig says:

Hi Hanna
    OFF COURSE you are PROUD!!!!! (And I am green of envy ;-))) 11 pages WOW! Going to have it ordered soon!
    Hedwig

Congrats!
    I’ve seen this book and plan to buy it. I was blown away by the sheer volume, and then when I LOOKED at the pages, it is so awesome!!

21. Belinda says:

got it as well! congrats, your pages look fab

22. Tillykke Hannah, hvor sejt! Men du er virkelig ogs? aktiv med formidling af “gl?den ved at male og skrive dagbog”, s? det er velfortjent!

23. Kelly says:

You’re not even the last one to have it! I don’t have mine yet, and I don’t know why – I can’t quite believe I’m in it, till I see it, and yet I’m putting off the day that I get it. Aren’t our egos tricky? Congratulations on your pages!

24. U2Kitteh says:

Wow!! I JUST got this book from the library and haven’t had a chance to look at it. You are absolutely right…it’s definately a book to peruse at leisure and really take in all the art. — I didn’t know you were published in it!! I can’t wait to go home now and search through and find your beautiful pages!

I am so glad that you blog, Hanna. I really love your postings….your thoughts, your art, your beautiful pictures…Smilla!! (More Smilla, please! She’s so pretty!)

Thank you for sharing your soul with us. =c)

25. iHanna says:

Thank you for all your lovely comments my friends!

Kelly!
    You have to get the book now!!! I was hesitating and waiting too (waiting for what?) before I bought it, my ego being afraid (and tricky as you said) but I’m so glad I did splurge now! I couldn’t believe that I would be in it and presented in such a nice way, but I believe it now when I have my book. Way cool.

U2Kitteh!
    Thanks for the congratulations and praise! I can’t imagine how it would be getting a book like this on the library, our library here has nothing on this subject to my knowledge, Nothing at all!

I’m so glad you like my blog!!! Thank you both from me and il gatto, she is out in the rain so no photos right now but maybe soon?

26. malin says:

Congrats on you being published! Your pages look great! I know how you feel – totally surreal, right? Btw – thanks for dropping by!

27. Pingback: iHanna’s Creative Space » Blog Archive » Jesse Reno’s book Truth will measure