This summer I made my first sock monkey from a pack of children’s socks I bought at a market. I used one pink and one yellow for this one. I don’t think I posted about it back then, so here she is in all her cuteness.
I like sock monkeys because they are adorably cute and extremely ugly and strange at the same time. Right? They are classic American softies and not at all common in Sweden, since the original Red-Heel socks are not for sale in stores here. I had only seen them online before I went to my friend Charlotte’s house and met her homemade friends. In the beginning of the year I interviewed Charlotte about her doll-making for the zine I made in school (called Kreativt liv; Creative Life). She has made several sock monkeys, both with red-heal and other kinds. I just fell in love with hers and wanted to make my own (of course).
The sock monkeys emerged at the earliest in 1932, the year the Nelson Knitting Company of Rockford, Illinois added the trademarked red heel to its product. These socks are knitted seamless socks in brown and white with the red heal that makes the mouth on a sock monkey – and the cute butt!
Here is a sketch from my diary that I scanned;
The pink sockmonkey was kind of a trial softie, I really really wanted a “real” one made of the original red heal sock from America. I ordered a package with XXL socks from Ebay and I’ve been sewing and stuffing it last week to make myself a writing buddy, a Nanowrimo-friend in the shape of a sock monkey? Why not.
- The pattern to make a sock monkey
- Sock monkeys by Arne Svenson – a book to check out, with some vintage cute-ugly ones in b/w. Nice coffee table book
- Book: Stupid sock creatures – socks are great for a lot of things!
- Inspiration for sock monsters and sock creatures – yay these are so cool!
- Quirky sock critters – a flickr pool, plus a sock monkey pool too! Lots of fun and extremely colorful critters to check out there!
- You don’t like monkeys or monsters? Check out little sock dogs and sock cats!
Have you had/made a sock monkey? Or will you?
Mine #2 will be finished soon.