Carving a stamp

detail of collage detail of collage detail of collage detail of collage detail of collage

Studio Friday: Invented tool. My hand carved stamp!

The carving tool for linoleumA hand carved swirl

Way back in February this year I was dreaming of carving my own stamp. It looked like real fun. A while after I bought myself a red little tool and a small piece of linoleum in an artist store, but it was not until after the summer I made the first stamp; a little swirl!

I made a rather thick and not to advanced design of a shape that I always draw when I doodle around, and I think it turned out really nice. This little stamp tool can be used in a lot of paper fun, like art journaling (see below) and card making.

Red is the colour of passion - art journal page by iHanna...
Spread in my art journal about the colour red (and pink). Red is the colour of strawberries, roses, wine and love, right? The black letters are stamped with the fun letter set I got from Melanee last week.

Link: I wish it was me who invented this YouTube movie – it looks quite funny!

This entry was posted in Art Experiments and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Carving a stamp

1. Dawn says:

Hi Hanna, I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog!

2. kelly says:

i love love love the stamps, i am constantly making
    swirls. they are my favorite. i have linoleum and
    cutters, but have never tried it. my dad used to carve
    linoleum blocks and we would all make christmas cards
    as a family! maybe i will do that this xmas with my
    kids!

3. naomi says:

I wanna carve stamps too! btw that “YouTube” thingee is so cool.
    Thanks for sharing!

4. wynlen says:

This is a beautiful stamp. Nice.

5. How cool…I’m so impressed that you carved that stamp yourself.

6. I love swirls and spirals too! I don’t have a tattoo but if I got one that is what I would get. :) (Don’t tell my husband! He thinks I’m a conservative housewife… Hehhehe).
    xooxox
    Lain

7. alex says:

beautiful stamp “tool” you know I have made stamps but never to use for other art a good idea I think I will have to try. Beautiful.

8. suzy says:

That stamp look s great! I want to try stamp carving now… could be great for putting on stationary and fabric too.

9. Heather says:

Oh, now I want to carve a stamp. How fun!!!

Is the YouTube thing for real?

10. Helena, Stockholm says:

Hello Hanna!

I enjoy your blog a lot, it is really inspiring! A couple of years ago me and a friend did Christmas cards by carving in linoleum and then printing with it…… It?s real fun…….. Your little swirl is beautiful……
    Keep on creating!!!!

11. Bea says:

I like your swirl stamp very much! And your journal page turned out so beautiful!

12. Snowbear says:

How did I miss this? The carved stamp is wonderful! I have a thing for swirls myself–they show up in my art all the time.

13. Ursula says:

Hi Hana,

Yours is the first blog I’ve ever read and I find you and your work very interesting. Where are you based?

14. Pingback: iHanna’s blog: creativity in the everyday life of iHanna » Blog Archive » On a crusade to carv my own stamps

15. Pingback: iHanna’s Creative Space » Blog Archive » Gesso Samlper with bubble wrap and sequin waste